IEDSP CODE OF ETHICS
The following code of ethics was established by the professional economic developers in the International Economic Development for Sustainable Programme to ensure a high ethical standard for those involved in economic development. There may be circumstances where the board may choose to interpret and apply this code to a particular event such as a man-made or natural disaster.
1. Professional economic developers shall carry out their responsibilities in a manner to bring respectto the profession, the economic developer and the economic developer’s constituencies.
2. Professional economic developers shall practice with integrity, honesty, and adherence to the trustplaced in them both in fact and in appearance.
3. Professional economic developers will hold themselves free of any interest, influence, orrelationship in respect to any professional activity when dealing with clients which could impairprofessional judgement or objectivity or which in the reasonable view of the observer, has that effect.
4. Professional economic developers are mindful that they are representatives of the community andshall represent the overall community interest.
5. Professional economic developers shall keep the community, elected officials, boards and otherstakeholders informed about the progress and efforts of the area’s economic development program.
6. Professional economic developers shall maintain in confidence the affairs of any client, colleagueor organization and shall not disclose confidential information obtained in the course of professionalactivities.
7. Professional economic developers shall openly share information with the governing bodyaccording to protocols established by that body. Such protocols shall be disclosed to clients and thepublic.
8. Professional economic developers shall cooperate with peers to the betterment of economicdevelopment technique, ability, and practice, and to strive to perfect themselves in their professionalabilities through training and educational opportunities.
9. Professional economic developers shall assure that all economic development activities are conducted with equality of opportunity for all segments of the community without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, marital status, or socioeconomic status.
10. Refrain from sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is defined as any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.
11. Not exploit the misfortune of federally declared disaster-impacted regions. This includes actively recruiting businesses from an affected community.
12. Abide by the principles established in this code and comply with the rules of professional conduct as promulgated by IEDSP in collaboration with World Relief Fund International.