Post Disaster Strategic Planning
Planning for long-term recovery can seem difficult when urgent humanitarian, cleanup, and rebuilding efforts require immediate attention, but it is essential
The community has an opportunity to
re-assess its economic objectives in light of vulnerabilities
Post-Disaster Strategic Planning
Recommendations from Kirstie Smith, Communications Director at the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce
- Have one accurate, complete list of all the businesses that are open in the community regardless of membership in the chamber.
- The EDO or Chamber’s social media profile is a good, credible, and verified source to keep businesses and the public informed.
- Leverage partnerships beyond the community, county, and state borders within your region for recovery.
- After the initial contact with an impacted business, conduct status checks on a regular basis to support them on their path to recovery.
- Contact all businesses not in the affected area within the region after those in the impacted zone.
- Have the schools re-open on schedule and/or create special programs for children until schools re-open.